Now that holidays are here I thought it would be nice to share some tips that may help us widows get through this so called happy time of year. This is my list:
1. Holidays are all about kids. So if possible enjoy, your children and grandchildren. Forget about what they don't do and focus on what you can do together this holiday season.
2. Put on that happy face even when it hurts. It is hard and sometimes ingenuous but being bitter won't make the holidays better for anyone.
3. Don't get tipsy at an office party and start talking about your late husband. We know co-workers (and many friends) don't want to hear it when they are sober so you can be sure that they don't want to hear it while partying.
4. Hold on to those precious memories of holidays you shared with your husband. I think it feels good to remember the fun times and traditions that you two carried on. Holidays will never be the same but no one can take our memories away.
5. Don't beat yourself if you can't or don't want to do something. If putting up a tree or entertaining is overwhelming, don't do it. If you don't want to go to attend a party or social event by yourself, don't go. Trying to replicate your former life is impossible. All you can do is follow your own instincts.
So these are my tips for getting through the next few weeks. What are yours?
Wishing you all a happy and healthy holiday season. I am taking off for a couple of weeks but will be back in January. I will check for comments daily and get them posted as soon as I can.